Sunday, June 30, 2013

I’m Back – with a New Running Goal


It’s been over a year since I’ve posted. Lots has happened. Through it all I’ve still been running. I haven’t raced much, but I’ve been running. I can’t imagine life without running – don’t want to. I’d like to think that, while I can still run, I’ll always find time to run. Hopefully.

So. Last summer, I did the old career gut check: can I see myself doing what I’m doing 5 years down the road? There I was watching the London Olympics, feeling like the career side of my life was in a rut. I’d been here before, but for some reason, this time I actually decided to do something about it – to really sit my butt down and think – well, what is it that you want to spend your days doing? The answer finally came in the wee hours of a sleepless July night – an answer I should’ve seen or had the guts to acknowledge years ago – I wanted to be a physiotherapist.



As a runner, I’ve undergone my fair share of physio – I’ve received so much great treatment, good advice, and honest encouragement from physios. But the possibilities of the job go well beyond fixing up recreational athletes – anyone with mobility issues benefits from physio attention… from people recovering from surgery to stroke survivors and others with neurological damage. I finally realized that keeping bodies moving as much as possible is work that I find significant. It’s something I could see myself doing 5, 10, 20 years down the road.

So I decided to do a bit of a 90-degree life turn.

I went back to school in September to do the prerequisite science courses (my background is firmly in the humanities) required to apply to the MSc in Physiotherapy program. I felt pretty darn old amongst first-year students – but it didn’t matter – I knew exactly what I was there for and exactly what I wanted. The courses went great, then the interview to get into Physio went great, and in May I was accepted to the program at Dalhousie University. I start this September.

The last year has been busy but really amazing. And through the stress of it, running kept my head above water.

With this return to school, though, comes a new running opportunity – and my new running goal: I’m going to try to make the Dalhousie Cross Country team.

Perhaps I’m crazy. I’m 37. I started running just to lose weight and get in shape. The guys on the team will be almost two decade younger than me. They’ve probably never been overweight (like I was 10 years ago) – probably never smoked half a pack of cigarettes a day (like I did 10 years ago). Is there any way I can run with them? Maybe not. But I’d sure like to try. I want a taste of varsity training. I want to take a shot at running for the school.



So this is where I am right now with running – I’m trying to get as fit as a 20 year old. I’m trying to bring my 10k time down as much as possible. I have no idea where this goal will lead, but I’m going to work my butt off trying to get as fast as possible.

Only time will tell how this narrative will unfold.

5 comments:

  1. Man!! I am so glad that you are back!! I thought that something happened to you! I was worried!!! you dissapear overnight!! dont do that again!! I got in this site every single day to see if you posted again! I am very glad that a great person and runner is back

    Do you still do workouts year round or you just were running easy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW!! Congrats on the decision to become a physioterapist!! You ll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind comment, Cesar. Sorry to worry you like that!!

      Like you, I'm doing workouts year round. It's a little harder to get them in during the winter -- sometimes I have to do threshold runs on the treadmill -- and often I wait until spring before doing speed work. But I like at least one workout a week during the "base" phase. My next goal is to get my body used to doing 3 workouts a week (or two workouts and a race), which is what the varsity guys do. I'm not sure my legs are strong enough, but I'm going to give it a try!

      Thanks again for your encouraging words. It's going to be a busy couple of years, but I'll try to post when I can -- and I'll be sure to keep up on your posts.

      Happy running!

      Delete
  3. That is great!! but 3 workouts a week is a lot! Are you goint to do 3 workouts all year round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a post on my crazy plan to do 3 a week. I certainly don't plan to keep up that kind of intensity all year... just for the rest of the summer and then into the fall cross country season. And I probably won't do 3 every week... in fact, I'll see if I can even do it two weeks in a row!

      Delete