Friday, July 22, 2011

My Virtual Run Across Canada


A number of weeks ago, I hit upon the idea of tracking how far my yearly mileage would take me across Canada each week. Well, it’s time to get back to that.

Last time, I was just north of Barrie, Ontario. As of today, I’ve run 2,360km for the year, which puts me – drum roll – just outside of a place called Thessalon, Ontario! Pretty cool, eh?


From the looks of things, there’s not a ton going on in this town of 1,300, but check out that sunset (above) and that lake picture (below). Northwestern Ontario is pretty awesome.

The town can boast of some minor hockey notables – none of whom I’ve heard of – and it apparently has excellent fishing – something I don’t do.

The town’s website describes the place as “between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie” – which maybe isn’t the most evocative way to describe your town, but hey, what are ya gonna do? I clicked on their “Attractions” link – and, well, they didn’t have anything listed. That’s kind of sad, but they do have a Farmer’s Market – and they do have some soy candle making and some soap making going on. And they do have a Home Hardware.

Apparently, there are no restaurants worth listing on the website. But here’s the real despair: the closest Tim Hortons seems to be in Blind River. But, never fear, there’s a Facebook page devoted to getting a Tims in Thessalon – maybe we should all join up and help out. It’s every Canadians’ charter right to be within close proximity of a Tims. So, really, it’s a bit of an outrage.

Side bar: I’ve been to the Tims in Blind River – way back in the 90s when my friend Mat and I put a canoe on top of his parents’ giant grey station wagon and drove all the way to Quetico Provincial Park to spend a couple of weeks in that amazing park. Good times. And, hey, Neil Young references Blind River in “Long May You Run,” so there’s magic in this part of the world.

Anyway… stay tuned to see where my mileage takes me next week – and where I’ll end up after the year is done – I’m still taking guesses!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Doug. That is an outrage that they don't have a Timmies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, M-R! I don't have a Facebook account, but if I did, I would join that group for sure!

    ReplyDelete